Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Tuesday 26 October - Berlin's hidden secrets






11.11am, Heading out to the Turkish Market on Kottbusser Damm to find some fancy-dress materials for my birthday party on Friday. The boys managed to get some pretty good stuff, while I was more concerned with the Borek (a dreamy Turkish hot cheesy/spinach pastry thing) and dips.

After the markets, which were busy, exciting, colourful and hectic, Andy and I went on a date! We haven't hung out heaps together recently, so I decided to take him to Schlachtensee, which is on the outskirts of Berlin in the West. My friend Megan had told me about it but I honestly wasn't expecting it to be quite so amazing. I'm pretty sure it's the most beautiful place I've seen in Berlin and, in fact, one of the most stunning I've seen in the world. You know those places where you're just blown away by the beauty? And it's on the S-bahn, about half an hour away... It blew my mind.

So Andy and I arrived (I hadn't told him where we were going) and had a few hours of walking around the whole lake, taking hundreds of photos, having a snooze in the sunshine and eating Turkish bread and dips that I'd brought with me, washed down with ice tea and mulled wine (strange mix, but it worked). I got to indulge my autumn leaf obsession with what seemed like hundreds of different shades of reds, russets, fiery oranges, bright greens, browns (Wikipedia claims there are 45 shades of brown, but what I'm pretty sure Schlachtensee would argue there are more).

Looking back at the pictures, I still can't believe this place exists in a capital city, especially one like Berlin. It was how I imagine Canada to be (I've never been though...). New favourite place, for sure.

First two photos by Andy Lawrence.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I am so glad you made it out there and loved it as much as I do!

    ReplyDelete