Friday, September 5, 2014

Thursday 7 August – An amazing day of hellos and goodbyes









Current location: London Bridge
11.11am, Having breakfast. I'd just met my lovely French friend Olivier, who I used to work with at British Journal of Photography. He is an all-time excellent friend, and it was so good to catch up with him after not seeing him for more than a year. He has since left where we worked, and is now the editor of Time magazine's Lightbox, so I'm super proud of him. We had a really yummy brunch (which I was a bit nervous about eating because this morning I had a filling and crown fitted at the dentist!), then a bit of a walk and a wander, before I went off to meet my friend Jack.

We met in Hyde Park and, as it was such a scorching day, we went straight to the lake in the middle. We considered swimming but instead opted for a jug of Pimm's. We had a lot to talk about, and got stuck right into it. Lots has changed since I'd last seen him, and so there were some good chats,  some hard chats, and a lot of honesty and emotion!

It was so beautiful in Hyde Park and so many people were out enjoying the sunshine. It was very easy to forget that today is my last full day in England, and tomorrow I'll be flying back to Australia with no definite idea of when I'll see everyone again.

My awesome friends and sister were all coming to meet me on the South Bank in the evening, so I walked there from Hyde Park. It's such a nice walk, past Buckingham Palace and down The Mall, then through Piccadilly and over the bridge to Waterloo. London really is ace. I'd forgotten how full-on it is, but also how fab it is.

I met everyone in a pop-up bar, which was part of the Festival of Love, and it was such a cool little place. We drank cocktails all night, laughed and reminisced about last weekend's wedding, caught up on everyone's weeks, and generally it just felt completely normal. What a crew. As we were leaving, Cat, Kate and I found a room where you could 'dress up as your idols' – so we did. So bizarre but hilarious, and kept us laughing all the way back home. Perfect last night with my homies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment