Thursday, December 29, 2016

Saturday 17 December – WE GOT MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!









Current location: Penzance
11.11am, Getting my hair and make-up done. Today I'm getting married! I had such a nice, chilled morning at home with the lovely Shelley doing hair and make-up for Kate, Pip, Claire, Mum and me. As predicted, it felt like we had loads of time until we had no time, and suddenly all the kids were bundled in cars, the bridesmaids were off, and it was just Dad and me (and Jo, who was driving us). I felt so lovely, and a teensy bit nervous, and very excited. When we got to the church, and I could see it was full of all our friends and family, I nearly burst! Eeeee! It was such a gorgeous sunny day too, we were so lucky. As we walked down the aisle, I couldn't stop grinning at everyone, I wanted to stop and say hi to all our beautiful guests... I barely remembered to look at Andy until I got almost the whole way down the aisle! He looked so handsome and happy and smart and lovely. 

Our ceremony was beautiful. After a lot of consideration we decided to have it at the Catholic Church and I am so glad we did. Fr Dyson gave the most beautiful homily about salt and light (salt: good for preserving, good for healing, adds flavour), and the hymns and readings were just perfect. 
When we were just about to say our vows, my stole started to slip, so I just ignored it. It then slipped all the way down my body and off! So i just stepped out of it while everyone was bursting out laughing, and then had to say 'I solemnly swear'. I definitely wasn't feeling solemn; I had the giggles!
It was over too quickly – we were married! I couldn't stop smiling and was just happy and not nervous anymore, just so happy. As we went to sign the register, my friends Rhian and Emily got up to sing. I didn't know what to expect but as Rhian opened her mouth and began the first few lines of 'What a Wonderful World' I was absolutely blown away! That girl can sing!!! I nearly cried, I was in absolute shock, and I just loved it so much. Then they performed 'Walking in a Winter Wonderland' and I just felt so festive and bloody brilliant!

After the ceremony was over, we went outside and our guests threw Lily's amazing homegrown confetti on us, and we got a chance to chat to everyone a little bit. Jo drove us to Landithy Hall, and as we got there, a group/choir of our guests were lining the entrance singing Christmas carols beautifully, while everyone was drinking mulled wine and eating gingerbread. It could not have been more perfect. For about an hour, everyone mulled around, chatting and drinking and feeling festive, then we sat down to eat stews and drink wine. 
The kids (my nieces and nephews) were having a ball, and Louis stole the show when he found the microphone and began to sing ABCD... then got stage fright and cried. So he did what any two-year-old would do and got his mum up on stage with him, and then proceeded to sing the song, with all our guests singing along... what a surreal but hilarious moment. The dinner was delish, then it was time for speeches. They were funny and sweet and so touching, I love speeches! Some of our friends did 1-minute speeches too, which included songs and jokes and funny stories and poems. Amazing.

At some point around then (I can't remember if it was before or after dinner), suddenly the fire alarm went off. We couldn't get hold of the woman who looks after the hall, so made a back-up plan to go to the pub. Just as we were about to leave, Charlie (my electrician friend) managed to turn it off, to great applause. On with the night! We ate brownies and drank champagne, then cleared away the tables and began to dance. Kir, our friend and DJ, absolutely killed it and got everyone dancing straightaway, the dancefloor stayed full all night. He even played MMMBop for me, twice!! What a man. 
I had the best time dancing and chatting to everyone (and even had a costume change into another wedding dress!), and drinking boozy hot chocolate and dancing on the stage with a pasty in my hand. You can take a girl out of Cornwall... 

It finally came time for the music to stop (at which point the 20 or so people left started another rendition of ABCD) and so we went to the pub next door, armed with bottles of wine, and had a lock-in there. I never imagined I would be in a pub in Madron doing tequila shots at 2am in my wedding dress, but there you go. What a day, what a night, what a husband. I am so happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment