Monday, April 25, 2016

Saturday 9 April - Oz wedding celebration
















Current location: Wagstaffe Hall
11.11am, Decorating! I don't know where to start... This morning Andy and I got to the hall at about 6.30am, to set up the coolroom and get the outside of the hall looking gorgeous for our Oz wedding celebration. We still had a bit to do, but it was fun, and the sun was shining, and we were having a wedding celebration, so everything was awesome!

The morning went by in a bit of a blur really, with people coming and going, our amazing friends helping us blow up 300 balloons (actually not just helping us - they did it all!). I went back to our house to start getting ready and get hair and make-up done, and before too long, we were popping the Champagne and walking down to the hall with my dad. The sun was shining so brightly, and all our guests had come over from Ettalong Beach on a boat, as Wagstaffe Hall is on the water – and everything just looked so beautiful!

Then I saw everyone waiting, but I couldn't see Andy until we'd actually walked all the way past everyone and down onto the beach. He looked so handsome and lovely, and it was all so overwhelming and gorgeous! Our awesome celebrant Cara immediately put everyone at ease and made it feel really informal and chilled and easygoing, while still bringing such a sense of occasion and special-ness. She's got skills, that woman!

We'd written our 'vows' (which weren't really vows as we are legally getting married in the UK) together, but we had 5 reasons we loved each other, that we hadn't heard before. I was pretty emotional at that point, but it was so gorgeous, and I totally loved our ceremony!

When it was over, I was dying to see everyone's smiling faces and give everyone a big hug, but we decided to nip off to Lobster Beach and take a few photos. At the time, I had massive FOMO, but as soon we got there (yes, after a trek through the bush in heels and a wedding dress!), it was just perfect. It was ace to have some time out from a mad day with Andy, in such a beautiful place, and was pretty hilarious when another bride and groom turned up... and it turned out Andy knew the groom! Before long, we were headed back to the hall to start partying. And partying we did!

For an hour or so, we milled around, having drinks and catching up with friends from all over Australia, and then the food arrived (from the incredible Mexican food truck that is Cantina Movil). I was having too much fun to eat, which was probably an error in retrospect, but I kept myself full up on Champagne instead. I feel like I only got a few minutes with each person, but what was so lovely was to see how many of our friends get on well and have made friends with each other. We really are lucky to know so many awesome people. 

Next up were speeches (one of my fave parts of a wedding), which were lovely and heartfelt, and then it was time for ddaaaannncccing!!! I think dancing took up most of the night (I say 'I think' because there are a few blank spaces, thanks to my Champagne dinner) – including some amazing 90s RnB classics, and a high-five shoulder ride – and the dancefloor was full from start to finish – even cheese and chocolate couldn't get people off it!

As the boat came to collect everyone at about 11pm, our amazing DJ friend Josh Moore played 'End of the Road' by Boyz II Men, which will hilariously now be always synonymous with our wedding. So, so many more amazing details of the night, that deserve a place here but are so wrapped up in the overall feeling of amazingness. My amazing new partner-in-life Andy absolutely rocked it, and so many people worked so hard to give us such an amazing day. Thank you to you all, for giving us the best day ever – and with another one to come in the UK, we are on cloud nine!

Above is a tiny selection of pics I've pinched fro various friends, but head to the hashtag #sevenyearhitchOz on Instagram or Facebook to see more). 

No comments:

Post a Comment