Friday, January 15, 2016

Wednesday 23 December – Tom Bawcock's Eve

















Current location: Penzance, Cornwall
11.11pm, Singing! Cornish Christmas sea shanties! Loudly! Tonight is Tom Bawcock's Eve, which has a lot of cultural meaning and tradition, but for my friends and me, means going to the Dock Inn, drinking rum and shrub, and singing, a lot, loudly. It's become a wonderful tradition, and definitely something I look forward to every Cornish Christmas. 
Today was such an ace day, starting with a walk on my favourite beach, Sennen. It was a bit drizzly, but we played cricket regardless, and then when the drizzle turned to rain turned to storms, we went to the cafe for hot chocolate and cake. 
At lunchtime, I met lots of my best friends over at the Halsetown Inn, for a special Christmas lunch. We all got dressed up and exchanged pressies, and drank snowballs, and just revelled in the joyful company of people we'd grown up with, who now have babies and husbands and houses and careers, but are still those same people I knew at 15. Today had so many elements of why I love Christmas, and why I love Cornwall. 


No comments:

Post a Comment