Friday, January 2, 2015

Thursday 18 December – West to East, Tasmania day 2
























Current location: Dove Lake, Tasmania
11.11am, Walking, in the drizzle. It was a bit rainy this morning, but we really wanted to walk around Dove Lake, so we got our waterproofs out and off we went. We were super-charged from one of the best breakfasts I've ever eaten – seriously. Cradle Mountain Lodge just kept pulling out the stops. This morning I ate porridge that blew my mind (I'm not even a porridge person really, but this one was SO GOOD I have even emailed them asking for the recipe!!), then French toast with maple syrup and bacon, and then sausages and eggs, and then watermelon! I had to fuel up!!

The walk around Dove Lake was stunning, even in the grey weather, with Cradle Mountain looming above us. It was nice to have a bit of a stretch of the legs too, before we jumped back in the car and headed back east. We haven't made definite decisions about where to stay this trip, but we were headed towards Binalong Bay, on the north-east coast.

As we moseyed back through the countryside, every corner seemed to throw something beautiful at us. The towns were sweet and so individual (one was 'Town of Topiary'; another was 'Town of Murals)... and then we went past the sign for 'Cornwall'! So of course we had to swing by and visit my home, although, I have to say, it wasn't anything like home! Very tiny and quite dated, plus there was a storm right as we got there, which didn't help!

Onwards we drove, managing to outdrive the storm, and soon it was sunny skies again, and we were in Binalong Bay, in the Bay of Fires. Andy had been given a tip by one of his friends, about a beach called Cosy Corner, so we managed to find that little spot and immediately decided to camp there for the night. We had the beach to ourselves, white sands, turquoise sea, and the nearest town was about 12km away. So we set up our tent, went back to St Helens (the nearest down) for some dinner, then came back and settled in for the night. I bloody love camping, although I had forgotten my sleeping bag so I was a bit chilly. But there's nothing like the sound of the waves to send you off to sleep... then wake you up in the morning. Amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment