Friday, June 13, 2014

Sunday 8 June – Semi-finals, stunning films



Current location: Surry Hills, Sydney
11.11am, Having brunch with Bree's family. They were down visiting Bree, and she invited me to meet them as a few of them were going to the Swifts game afterwards. It was the semi-finals, and we had to win or we were out of the championships.

Brunch was delicious, but I was so nervous thinking about the game! Supporting the Swifts has ended up being a really fun part of my Sydney life – I have learnt heaps more about netball and professional sport, got to spend more time with lovely Rianne, and just enjoyed being part of a club that achieves such awesome things.

Today's game was against Waikato Bay of Plenty Magic, and it was always going to be a tough one. We beat them a couple of weeks ago, so I guess they had turned up hungry to win. We were in front most of the game, but Magic had a surge in the last few minutes and evened the score. There are no draws in this netball championship, so one team had to win or it would go into extra time. Crushingly, in the final second (literally), the Magic scored the winning goal, ending the Swifts' premiership dreams! It was gutting, and the stadium was almost silent; everyone was just in shock!!

I went back home and watched the game again (same result, sadly), and then Andy and I went to see a film, Keep On Keepin' On, as part of Sydney Film Festival. One of Andy's friends was the cinematographer, and it was a documentary about Clark Terry, the legendary jazz musician. I didn't really know what to expect, but I was in tears from about halfway through the film... Not that it was sad, it was just so powerful and beautiful and intense. It told the story of Clark and his relationships with his pupils (he taught people such as Miles Davis and Quincy Jones), and the beauty of the human spirit, and how much people care for each other was just amazing. I honestly think it was one of the most incredible things I've ever seen!

No comments:

Post a Comment