Monday, December 9, 2013

Sunday 1 December – My amazing parents


Current location: Erskineville
11.11am, At home, moping. This morning, we dropped Mum and Dad at the airport. They're off to Thailand now for two weeks, and then back home to Cornwall. I was pretty brave when we said bye, and didn't cry, but have been pretty depresso since we left them!

At lunchtime, I went to a pub to meet my friend Chrystal, whose birthday it is. Had such a nice afternoon with lots of friends, chats and distractions, then went to Family Dinner at Jess' house, which was also full of friends, chats, distractions, games, wine and yummy food. I'm glad I have such lovely people in my life here, and it makes me feel better about Mum and Dad going.

We have had the best time in the past few weeks. Despite the rain, we have been to lots of new places, been to beaches, on walks, been exploring, gone for runs with Mum, had drinks with Dad, laughed, swam, eaten, shopped, been for dinners, brunches, lunches, showed off our neighbourhood, been on boats, been fishing, been tourists and just had fun together. I love my parents so much, and nothing makes me realise how lucky I am more than when they fly across the world to come and visit, and see my new world. The fact that Mum and Dad left their Cornish comfort zone 18 years ago to try something new and have a year in Australia with their four kids, is something that astounds me. I will always aspire to be more like them and have their sense of adventure, and I love that it's kicking on as they get older. No slowing down for them, too much to see and do! It won't be the same without them here, but it won't be long before we see each other again and, until then, I have memories to cherish forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment