Friday, May 31, 2013

Thursday 30 May – JC, the man, the legend


Current location: Ettalong Beach, Australia
11.11pm, Blogging. I don't really know how to introduce this blog post, so I'm just going to write. 
Jacob Cockle was a freaking legend, and was a lot of things to a lot of people: brother, son, uncle, friend.

To me, he was my first 'proper' boyfriend. We were together at the age of 16, which I thought was a pretty mega time for a relationship. At 16, relationships are confusing, scary, amazing and all-encompassing. At a time when you're still figuring out your own personality, you're also getting to know someone else's. At some point, we stopped being a couple and started just being friends. And, although we didn't see each other much, our friendship lasted years – but it is those first few years of knowing each other that I treasure the most. At a time when we were taking our first wobbly steps into a 'serious relationship', Jacob taught me a huge amount about fun, laughter and respect.

In whatever Jake did, he was bubbling, effervescent and always ready to go, whether it was watching a bodyboarding video, listening to punk music or appreciating the beauty of a cliff walk. He was a super talented photographer, with skills unlike anyone I've seen. His photography was just like his spirit: beautiful, exhilarating and one of a kind. You'll be missed, and it's so unfair you got taken too soon, but your spirit will live on in the pictures you took, the enthusiasm and lust for life that you inspired, and the people who loved you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment