Saturday, November 24, 2012

Saturday 17 November - Meadery and Benbow!






Current location: Admiral Benbow, Penzance
11.11pm, In the Benbow, after having been for a meadery. For those that don't live in West Cornwall, that probably doesn't mean much. But those in the know will understand what a joyous, Cornish evening I had!

Starting with the meadery, Mum, Dad and I met Pip, Jo, Vinny and Zac at Trewellard Meadery. A meadery is like a bizarre kind of medieval restaurant/winery, with a focus on mead wine. You eat with your fingers, it's very dark and there are lots of swords and strange things like that on the wall. The food is cheap and yummy, there are lots of flavours of mead wine and the result in an amazing evening. Mum and Dad used to take my three sisters and me when we were children and I would always have chicken in the rough, death by chocolate and a red devil to drink (blackcurrant and lemonade). That's progressed to fish or prawn fries, death by chocolate and mead wine. So much fun.

When we headed back into town, Mum, Dad and I went for a drink at the Admiral Benbow in Penzance. Known just as the Benbow, it was the place all my friends went when we first starting going out as teenagers. It's small, with low ceilings, lots of crazy decor, a favourite of fisherman and dogs, and serves a mean rum and shrub. Ruth, Nicky, Jack and lots of other really good friends turned up and we had an awesome night that made me want to live in Cornwall again! I love coming home.

No comments:

Post a Comment