Thursday, September 13, 2012

Sunday 2 September - Paralympic fever!









Current location: On the DLR
11.11pm,
Andy and I were on our way home after going to the Olympic Park to watch some Paralympics. I have been really into the Olympics this year, and have loved it being in London, but I was totally surprised at how obsessed I would become with the Paralympics. The main obsession for me was men's wheelchair basketball. I couldn't get enough of watching it; the rule tweaks, the aggression, the accuracy – it's such an addictive sport!

A few weeks ago, when Olympic fever had started to set in, I bought Andy and I some tickets to watch the Paralympic athletics in the Olympic Stadium. Mum and Dad heard about it and wanted tickets too, then I got a message from my sister asking for tickets for her and our friend Immi. So this Sunday came around and we all met in Stratford, wearing lots of red, white and blue, and adorned with Union Jacks. It was so exciting!! The atmosphere was electric – an overused phrase, but it really was. Everyone was excited, slightly overwhelmed, a bit disbelieving...actually being inside the park was crazy, it's massive in there, but still manages to seem easy to navigate and really friendly.

Almost as soon as we got in there, we met up with our friend Mellis, who has been working at the Olympics. The day got even better when Mellis announced he had free tickets if we wanted them... to the MEN'S BASKETBALL, GB V POLAND!!! Oh my goodness, I nearly cried. Andy and I went to watch, cheer, whoop, holler, and buy Mellis a beer, while Mum, Dad, Claire and Immi headed into the stadium. An hour later, and a lot hoarser, we joined them (GB won the basketball, by the way!).

The stadium was amazing. I find it hard to describe the atmosphere in there but imagine 80,000 people screaming for one common purpose. There was no rivalry or anger, like there is with some sports; instead, everyone was cheering, singing national anthems, welling up, and generally supporting whoever was competing.

Although one of the most hyped-up events was the 200m final (as Oscar Pistorius was in it...and, er, lost and got angry! Video of the race, above), I thought one of the most amazing to watch was the blind 100m final. The women ran with guides, and watching these two people relying on each other so heavily, to achieve such success, was a real highlight of the Paralympics for me. The stadium went crazy for the 5,000m. David Weir raced to a gold medal, with everyone shouting and cheering at the top of their voices. I have never heard a noise like it! So, so proud. I will be gutted when the Paralympics is over, but I feel SO LUCKY that I got to be in London for it, and actually be there to watch some events. What a summer, what amazing people, and what a city!

Andy has some ace pictures so check out his blog post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment