Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Saturday 29 January – Walk, swim, cheer


Current location: Kitzbühel, Austria
11.11am, Walking into town through the snow as I had decided to go swimming in the town's pool, Aquarena. Andy was off up the mountain for the day and, unbeknownst to me, it was going to be a German-speaking day. Over breakfast, I chatted to another woman who lives in the house, a woman who only speaks Slovakian and German. Then at the pool everything was explained to me in German. Though, perhaps I didn't understand properly because I spent an hour trying to swim laps in what was clearly a fun pool designed for playing, not swimming. There were jets of water everywhere, waterfalls, wave machines and lots of children to dodge. At the end of the hour, I got out and headed to the changing rooms, where I saw the Olympic-sized pool, set out with lanes for swimming laps. Oops. So I hopped back in, swam a bit more and then headed to the pub to watch the end of the Asian cup final: Japan v Australia. As I hang out with pretty much all Australians here, I have ended up supporting them by default. But 'we' lost, so that was sad.
(Picture taken from Aquarena website)

No comments:

Post a Comment