Friday, December 3, 2010

Wednesday 1 December - A piece of cake



11.11pm, Trying to warm up as lots of icy snow fell outside. I'd been to meet a good friend for coffee and cake (well, coke and cupcakes) and decided to walk the hour-long route home. It was lovely and refreshing, but oh-so-chilly.

I'd met my friend Lucy at The Hummingbird Bakery in Soho, just around the corner from where I work, literally. The cakes there are ridiculously good, and I opted for the Black Bottom, which is a dark chocolate sponge with a cheesecake centre and cream cheese frosting. It was, quite possibly, the best cake I've ever eaten.

And the company was pretty good too; Lucy is a fellow sub-editor, and she makes her living through freelancing for some pretty awesome magazines. I met her when she came to do some work at Candis while I was still there, and she has remained a firm friend (do I mean that? Is that a phrase? Maybe I mean a firm favourite. Or a good friend…?!) ever since.

Anyway, she's hot stuff and is even more glowing than usual as she is 13 weeks pregnant! (Yesterday was little Scampi's 13-week birthday, in fact. You could say we were eating cake to celebrate that.) Not content with work, babies and a buzzing social life, Lucy also runs a super-duper fashion blog called It's a Look. And, yes, it's definitely worth a look. (Plus it features an extra-special blog post. So that's good.)

(Pictures © The Hummingbird Bakery and Lucy Parley, respectively.)

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Now THAT's publicity! Ha ha! Thanks hon! Aw, it feels like This Is Our Life, with the rundown of how we met and what I do for a living. Love that Scampi made it, ha ha! Aww, you're ace. I will of course be reciprocating the love asap. Mwahs! xxxx

    ReplyDelete