Thursday, December 23, 2010

Tuesday 21 December - Skulls and beaks


Current location: Penzance, Cornwall
11.11pm, Up on a hill above my house with my mum, checking out Montol Eve, which is the pinnacle of the Montol Festival.

It's ok, you're not expected to know what that is. I have lived in Penzance on and off for 25 years, and I still don't really understand what it's about. All I know is that on 21 December (midwinter), lots of scary-looking revellers join in a procession through town that ends at the hill fort behind our house. They wear masks with beaks, and there are horse's skulls, fires that are called 'Sun Resplendents', Cornish dancing and many other 'traditional' customs. Cornwall is a strange place sometimes!

For more info on the Montol Festival, click here. Image © The Druid Grove of Bega.

No comments:

Post a Comment