Friday, November 19, 2010

Wednesday 17 November - The Seaside!



11.11pm, We were in Rügen!! As a surprise for my birthday, Andy took me on a little holiday to Rügen. It's an island in the Baltic Sea, off the north coast of Germany and I am just so glad I got to go to the seaside while living in Berlin! Incredible. The weather, though far from beautiful, was actually perfect: it was very windy and rainy (in fact, some might say it was 'blowing a hooley') but it just seemed to fit the rugged coastline perfectly.

After arriving late afternoon, we walked out to the pier in Sellin, which was part-exhilarating, part-terrifying as the sea was so choppy and stormy, and then found a lovely restaurant to warm up our frozen noses and calm down our ruddy cheeks. I love weather like that; it made me feel very alive and blew away all the cobwebs from the four-hour drive up there, (which shouldn't have been that long but I am a slow driver).

The drive was also hampered slightly at the beginning, thanks to an unusual find. We got into the hire car in Berlin, full of innocent excitement, and Andy stretched his legs out for a nice chauffeured ride to Rügen. But as he did, something fell down that had been shoved up above the footwell (under the glove compartment). A gun. So that was weird. We took about 10 seconds to realise it was actually real (very heavy, made of metal, had a place for a silencer attachment), and then freaked out. He took it straight back into the hire car place, which was pretty hilarious as I could just imagine him walking in there, holding the gun out. It was all done and dusted in less than a minute, but I was still talking about it hours later. It was the first gun I'd ever seen or touched (I am from Cornwall, after all). Exciting times.

Pictures © Andy Lawrence

No comments:

Post a Comment