Saturday, July 24, 2010

Friday 23 July - Horrible history


11.11am, I had just arrived at Sachsenhausen , a concentration camp about 34km out of Berlin. It was an amazing, haunting, poignant, eye-opening day. I was just about to write about some of the stories that we heard, but I think they're just too graphic and shocking to put on here, so I would instead recommend that you go and visit. It really is an amazing experience.
One thing that gave me the chills was the sign they had on the gate as people got marched in: 'Arbeit macht frei', which means 'Work makes freedom'. It was used at Nazi concentration camps to support the idea that they were 'education camps' but it seems a little too similar to the sign in our kitchen that means 'Hard work pays off'. (See the sign here).

No comments:

Post a Comment